• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bleve
    • Mar 2005

Re: 100% support for EJ Manuel

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
    This defense has the potential to be between top 5-7ish. And if they reach that potential, an offense with a competent QB and a solid running game gets this team to the playoffs.

I'm not willing to throw everyone else under the bus in the name of EJ's development. EJ has a couple games to prove he can win. If we go 0-2 to start, EJ should hold the clipboard until Orton proves he's worse or the Bills are eliminated from the playoffs.
    This is my feeling as well.

Starting Orton because of his competent experience does not mean "EJ is a BUST!" I like the effort and sincerity of EJ, and believe there is a potential high ceiling.

It appears though, it will take a while, and let's give our team the best chance to win.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need beer."
    ~ Frank Zappa

Comment

• TakingItuptheChin
      Zoner
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
      Most rookie QB's don't do well. Manuel was 4-6 and should have been 5-5.

Compared to other rookie QB's that started 10 games or more, EJ Manuel is pretty damn good.
      He could easily also been 2-8

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
        well said

the support cant be unconditional, if he struggles consistently for say the first quarter then you probably have to go with the expensive backup to try to save the season. but certainly he deserves a ton more support than hes getting right now

one good thing is that the fans have so completely overreacted and drawn a picture in their minds based on a poor preseason that it wont take much for him to look good in comparison. if he can put in a reasonably acceptable game in chicago even if they lose then he could see opinions turn in his favor pretty quick. but hes gonna ride that hyper-critical train all season regardless
        He doesn't deserve anything because he showed ZERO improvement. Most of us had low expectations for EJ in preseason. We just wanted some signs of improvement- go deep more often, be more accurate. But even that reduced standard was too much to ask.

I hope the kid succeeds, I really do. I just don't see any reason to believe it will happen.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• paladin warrior
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Oct 2004

Me too.. I am support to E. J Manual. It not his fault. Because he is young and O-Line is awful and screw up . Plus Offensive coach is garage and OB coach is piece of s***Y

Comment

• RedEyE
            • Jul 2002

Best thread I've seen on this site in months. Of course people will be sure to **** all over it but at least someone is making the effort to remain positive.

Comment

• kishoph
              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
              It was too late about 5 minutes after they drafted him for many.
              Which brought many preconceived opinions on what he'd do in the NFL and unfortunately many people are more happy with thinking they were right over trying to give Manuel a chance.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by RedEyE View Post
                Best thread I've seen on this site in months. Of course people will be sure to **** all over it but at least someone is making the effort to remain positive.
                I just don't see spending that much time attention on anything in life if you can't be more positive than negative about it. Seems like a pretty obvious rule to live by, right?

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Don't Panic View Post
                  You'd think that thread title would be a given considering he was only a year removed from being our 1st round pick, but it's not. I remember his senior year... I wanted to like him but was on the fence because I saw too many mistakes that seemed avoidable. 10 starts later I'm not sure how much he has improved from that last game as a Seminole, but I'm certainly not ready to close the book. How could anyone be? If you don't get a full year in this league to prove yourself then something is seriously wrong. So I'm pulling for him...

I have no no desire to see Kyle Orton. I want 16 games out of Manuel. I don't see Rob Johnson, JP Losman and Trent Edwards. I see a kid who is committed to the craft and will continuously improve. I'm not sure he will ever be great, but I am sure he doesn't have to be. I don't see injury prone, I see a couple cases of bad luck, which is behind him now.

So I hope to God that the tested and emotionally torn fans of these Bills have the patience to let this kid grow into this role and not to turn on him in what would assuredly be a rough and nasty way. If they do, that will have an effect on this kid. He needs the time, the patience, and the backing of the base to get it right. Looking around here lately, it's pretty obvious he has the luxury of none of those three. What a shame... I'm not giving up on him though. That's not an option in my eyes.
                  Well said.

It's unknown if Manuel will succeed or not. I GET THAT.

Orton is a decent backup, so the alternative is at least there. Still, his ceiling is done and I'll root for Manuel to succeed.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Fletch
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
                    This defense has the potential to be between top 5-7ish. And if they reach that potential, an offense with a competent QB and a solid running game gets this team to the playoffs.

I'm not willing to throw everyone else under the bus in the name of EJ's development. EJ has a couple games to prove he can win. If we go 0-2 to start, EJ should hold the clipboard until Orton proves he's worse or the Bills are eliminated from the playoffs.
                    Originally posted by bleve View Post
                    This is my feeling as well.
                    I'd love to share this viewpoint, but I don't understand why so many people think that this D has improved.

Has this registered with anyone, that last season we couldn't beat one team, not one single team, that finished better than ranked 18th in passing, and that now our pass D is worse.

You don't just overlook something like that.

Our linebacking corps is nothing but run stuffers. Unfortunately this isn't 1995 anymore where RBs carry the day in the NFL, these days it's QBs, WRs, TEs, and ever RBs out of the backfield and the passing game.

We lost Byrd permanently and Kiko for the season, arguably our two best pass defenders. So OK, we improve at stopping the run, which I still wouldn't count on because Schwartz is going to have to play 4 man fronts frequently, but how does such a regression in pass D amount to an improvement in D?

It doesn't and it cannot possibly be spun that way, yet so many of you cavalierly insist that the D will be better.

To top it off, we play even more top-half passing teams this season, the NFCN has three of them.

Have any of you thinking that this D is improved considered what we're going to do on 3rd-downs? Spikes, Brown, and Rivers, our three starters according to TOS, all specialize in run D to the extent that they specialize. Spikes is tops but the other two not so much. Brown is unproven and Rivers a borderline starter. It's not like we have a bunch of top notch pass-D linebackers sitting the bench just waiting to come in on 3rds.

I'll predict now that this will be a near record worst season for us in 3rd-down conversions allowed. We'll see. But that's the way this is shaping up.

That doesn't spell top 5-7 D. Everyone seems to be approaching this from the angle that if a lie is told often enough it becomes the truth. That may work in politics, but that's hardly the case in the NFL.
                    Last edited by Fletch; 09-04-2014, 07:03 AM.
                    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                    Originally Posted by pmoon6
                    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by RedEyE View Post
                      Come on, how the team performs has absolutely zero to do with our perceptions and what we say.

This projecting of how poor the team is onto other fans is childish. This isn't an exercise in fan motivation. Please!

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                      ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
                        • May 2007

I just don't see spending that much time attention on anything in life if you can't be more positive than negative about it. Seems like a pretty obvious rule to live by, right?
                        Some of us prefer to simply look at the way things really are instead of trying to delude ourselves that they're really better.

What you and others don't get is that our goals are all the same. Talk about being more negative than positive, what about posters that slam others for "not being fans," or for being "trolls" simply because of a post or opinion that doesn't tickle you the way you want it to?

I guess slamming others is really positive in life, huh?

Seems like a massive double-standard to me. Being unjustifiably positive about things that have no basis while being terminally negative towards anyone that doesn't think like you do.

Post #46

------

Comment

• coastal
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Mar 2005

Ralph is dead.

Comment

• trapezeus
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Oct 2004

the thing about teams who get the luxury of having their qb grow into the role is that the coaches take some of the pressure off by putting the team as a whole in a position to win. and those teams who go into the second season witha questionmark qb like EJ can still squeak their way into the playoffs or be close in the last few weeks so that the fan base is engaged and excited.

Yes they get frustrated by bad mistakes etc, but they understand it if the team finds a way to win elsewhere. And this so far is on marrone and hackett. They need to take the pressure off of EJ and start getting the team to perform elsewhere.

in the last 14 years, it's not that we are just mediocre, but that we need a math degree to figure out how to make the playoffs by early november. And then no one cares. Only once were we legitimately in the race until the very end.

so i'm for giving EJ time. i think he's going to be very average. but if he is average and the team somehow squeaks into a wildcard spot, i'm all for seeing if he is moving forward. if he is average and they miss the playoffs, were pretty much out by November, and coaching continues to hinder the team, i'm all for firing marrone (as long as brandon is gone as well) and starting over.

for the bills to suck this year when trading a 1st rounder, it will be inexplicable on how brandon keeps his job or can keep the jobs for his friends.

Comment

• Buckets
                              • Jun 2003

You'd think that thread title would be a given considering he was only a year removed from being our 1st round pick, but it's not. I remember his senior year... I wanted to like him but was on the fence because I saw too many mistakes that seemed avoidable. 10 starts later I'm not sure how much he has improved from that last game as a Seminole, but I'm certainly not ready to close the book. How could anyone be? If you don't get a full year in this league to prove yourself then something is seriously wrong. So I'm pulling for him...

I have no no desire to see Kyle Orton. I want 16 games out of Manuel. I don't see Rob Johnson, JP Losman and Trent Edwards. I see a kid who is committed to the craft and will continuously improve. I'm not sure he will ever be great, but I am sure he doesn't have to be. I don't see injury prone, I see a couple cases of bad luck, which is behind him now.

So I hope to God that the tested and emotionally torn fans of these Bills have the patience to let this kid grow into this role and not to turn on him in what would assuredly be a rough and nasty way. If they do, that will have an effect on this kid. He needs the time, the patience, and the backing of the base to get it right. Looking around here lately, it's pretty obvious he has the luxury of none of those three. What a shame... I'm not giving up on him though. That's not an option in my eyes.
                              Kudos to you. However, all the evidence so far doesn't support this kind of optimism. I personally am disturbed by his inability to shake off making so many stupid mistakes or if they are not mistakes, his incompetence.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
                                Kudos to you. However, all the evidence so far doesn't support this kind of optimism. I personally am disturbed by his inability to shake off making so many stupid mistakes or if they are not mistakes, his incompetence.
                                He's actually making too few mistakes in my opinion. His turnover rate is low, exceptionally low actually for a guy who's as green as he is. I'd like to see him be more aggressive even if it means some turnovers. The guys that grade Manuel on the same scale as a vet QB just don't understand the game or don't care to be fair. Rookie QB's make LOTS of mistakes. To me they are to be encouraged, that's how they develop.

Comment

Working...
                                X