• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kishoph
    • Jun 2003

Re: EJ Manuel Had A 67% Completion Percentage In 4 Years of College

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
    You may want to recheck your math on that one, because you are WAY off...by a mile. Also, Brady actually threw the ball over twice as many times as Manuel. I wouldn't try to compare the two, anyway.

I did screw up and left one set out. Glad I don't do my own taxes.
    I agree, I've said it before, Brady's a terrible comparison, he's been in the league for 13 seasons, I just wanted to point out that all QB's overall completion % is inflated by "high percentage passes", not just EJ Manuel's.

Comment

• Swiper
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by kishoph View Post
      That works for every QB in the league, their overall % may not be "miserable", but the completion % of passes behind the LOS, inflates every QB's stat line.
      I hate to keep using Brady as an example, but his completion % without the passes thrown behind the LOS would be 36.4 %. Also Brady threw 93 passes behind the LOS. Manuel threw 53.
      Who missed more playing time?

Comparing those two are like comparing apples to oranges.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
        • Feb 2005

Who would you rather compare with then? The field is wide open.

I would suggest however that you refrain from ocomparing to obvious future HOF QB's. But I would be interested to see how EJ compares with Luck, Wilson, Kapernick regarding BTLOS passing stats.

Comment

• feldspar
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
          Who would you rather compare with then? The field is wide open.

I would suggest however that you refrain from ocomparing to obvious future HOF QB's. But I would be interested to see how EJ compares with Luck, Wilson, Kapernick regarding BTLOS passing stats.
          Go ahead and compare him to anyone you want then...nobody stopping you. Go to espn's site, find a player, and click on "splits." You'll find out how often a quarterback throws the ball at any given distance....those stats are most of the way down the page after you navigate to "splits."

Manuel hasn't been throwing the ball very far compared to other QBs, and maybe you'll see that after you do your homework. You should probably know that already...and it ain't just about behind the line of scrimmage, either.

I think that a large part of that was by design. I hope the Bills take more chances further down the field this year (like past 10 yards), as this keeps the opposing defense more honest and also helps to open up the running game...keeping fewer guys out of the box can't hurt a guy like Spiller, who I hope Hackett realizes is not a fullback.
          Last edited by feldspar; 06-19-2014, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
            • Feb 2005

EJ - 43 completions for 81.1% - 54.8% all others
            Kapernick - 35 completions for 80.5% - 56.1% all others
            Wilson - 51 completions for 70.8% - 61.7% all others
            Peyton Manning - 77 completions for 80.2% - 67.1% all others (Note: PM threw only 17 passes further than 30 yards - That equals 2.6% of all pass attempts)

Summary - EJ's BTLOS pass completion % is comparable. His all others completion % compares well with 3rd year Kapernick but could use improvement which would be expected in years 2 and 3.
            Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 06-19-2014, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
              • Feb 2005

BTLOS/All Attempts - 2013
              EJ - 17.5%
              Kapernick - 9.9%
              Wilson - 17.7%
              PM - 14.8%

Still pretty comparable - anybody else wanna do a few other QB's?
              Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 06-19-2014, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                • Feb 2005

Brady - 15.5%
                Rodgers - 21.7%
                Tannehill - 13.1%
                Stafford - 18.6%
                Geno Smith - 19.3%
                Alex Smith - 23.5%
                Brees - 19.5%

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                  • Feb 2005

Roethlisberger - 21.4%
                  Foles - 22.4%
                  McCown - 19.6%
                  Rivers - 16.4%
                  Romo - 15.9%

Your point?

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                    • Feb 2005

Luck - 19.1%
                    Newton - 17.5%

Ya'll get the point!

Comment

• kishoph
                      • Jun 2003

Go ahead and compare him to anyone you want then...nobody stopping you. Go to espn's site, find a player, and click on "splits." You'll find out how often a quarterback throws the ball at any given distance....those stats are most of the way down the page after you navigate to "splits."

Manuel hasn't been throwing the ball very far compared to other QBs, and maybe you'll see that after you do your homework. You should probably know that already...and it ain't just about behind the line of scrimmage, either.
                      I'm not gonna try percentages, because I screwed that up once already.

Luck had 570 attempts, 29 of those attempts were thrown between 21 and 30 yds. He made 11 attempts between 31 and 40 yds. and 9 attempts over 41 yds.

Manuel attempted 306 passes, 19 of them went between 21 and 30 yds. 9 attempts between 31 and 40 yds. and 5 attempts over 41 yds.

It's a misconception that NFL QB's are just dropping back and winging the ball 30-40 yds. downfield 10 times a game. I'm not going to do any homework, but I think I "already know" that Manuel is making downfield throws around the average of the QB's in the league. As of this time, nobody has shown it to be different, other than saying it.

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the ’99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you’d like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can’t drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

It's a good thing they play the game and not just award wins on scouting reports.
                        The report on Johnny Football?

Comment

• GingerP
                          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by better days View Post
                          The report on Johnny Football?
                          No, that's Brady. Referencing the '99 season kind of gives it away, since Manziel was 6.
                          Last edited by GingerP; 06-19-2014, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• feldspar
                            • Mar 2007

I'm not gonna try percentages, because I screwed that up once already.

Luck had 570 attempts, 29 of those attempts were thrown between 21 and 30 yds. He made 11 attempts between 31 and 40 yds. and 9 attempts over 41 yds.

Manuel attempted 306 passes, 19 of them went between 21 and 30 yds. 9 attempts between 31 and 40 yds. and 5 attempts over 41 yds.

It's a misconception that NFL QB's are just dropping back and winging the ball 30-40 yds. downfield 10 times a game. I'm not going to do any homework, but I think I "already know" that Manuel is making downfield throws around the average of the QB's in the league. As of this time, nobody has shown it to be different, other than saying it.
                            Dude, I've been watching football for about 35 solid years.

If you want to go crazy about it, Trent Edwards was "throwing the ball down the field" on the longer passes more than Peyton Manning during a fair portion of Trent's time with the Bills. Trent was Captain Checkdown. It's more about the intermediate passes. You can only go far with those stats when a pass thrown one yard falls into the same category as a pass that is thrown ten yards.

Are you SERIOUSLY trying to make the claim that Manuel did not throw an inordinate amount of short/checkdown passes? If so, I'm not sure what to tell ya. It's pretty much common knowledge.

Comment

• kishoph
                              • Jun 2003

Dude, I've been watching football for about 35 solid years.
                              Dude, you challenge people to show you different by looking at the stats and then when there are post like the ones from Yasgur's Farm that show you are exaggerating, you come back with you've been watching football for for 35 years and you are right. Well I've been watching football for over 40 years and I say your biasness has clouded your judgement. Give the kid a break, he was a rookie that had a ton working against him last season.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                                • Feb 2005

I have over 40 years of being an NFL/AFL fan myself... I guess that trumps 35 years as well if that's the standard to defining who's right or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X