If you think the Bills gave up too much...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ParanoidAndroid
    My battery is low and it's getting dark.
    • Apr 2004

Re: If you think the Bills gave up too much...

Originally posted by Parzival View Post
    Ridiculous. We gave up one 1st rd pick and one 4th rd pick for Watkins. we didn't "lose" our 2014 pick, we used it on the best WR in the draft.
    We used two 1st round picks and a 4th. If draft picks are currency, then we paid an awful lot for a WR. Whether that was a mistake or not, we'll have to wait to find out, and it's far from a sure bet. This was an extremely high risk move.

Comment

• WagonCircler
      Escaped Convict
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
      YOU'RE A STUPID ****ING BABY..
      ^^^This would be the very definition of irony, supplanting my previous favorite "All extremists should be killed!"

Comment

• Luisito23
        Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
        2014 1st Round Pick
        2015 1st Round Pick

Still with this BS about losing two 1st. rounders...Wonder when people will get it through their dense hard heads that the Bills did not lose two 1st. round picks.

Pisses me off to keep on hearing this over and over again.
        "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
        ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
        ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
        ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Luisito23 View Post
          Still with this BS about losing two 1st. rounders...Wonder when people will get it through their dense hard heads that the Bills did not lose two 1st. round picks.

Agreed. A new level of stupidity, which never seems to amaze me here. I'll have my 13 year old teach them math.

After all the wheeling and dealing, the Bills lost next years 1st rounder. I like the gamble, since the prize was Watkins.

Later, they will have to pay for Brown but I view him as a good middle round draft pick a year or 2 early.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Swiper
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2010

YOU'RE A STUPID ****ING BABY.

We drafted like a team that's concerned about winning today instead of tomorrow. Remember what it's like to care about the present instead of the future? No, you don't? That's because you're a Bills fan and haven't thought about winning in 14 years.

This was the aggressive, balls out move we've been waiting for, and some of you gaywads are totally upset like it's a bad thing.

Sack up, losers. Trading up was awesome.

+1 to the Bills for getting their guy.
            Mike Florio disagrees.

It was a bold move by G.M. Doug Whaley. Some would call it insanity to give up that much for an unproven receiver.
            The Bills made a big splash on the first night of the draft, sending the ninth overall pick in the draft, a 2015 first-round selection, and a 2015 fourth-round pick to the Browns for the ability to secure the rights to receiver Sammy Watkins.

Comment

• GingerP
              • Aug 2012

They allocated 2 1sts and a 4th to select 1 player, Watkins. That can't be disputed.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train View Post

After all the wheeling and dealing, the Bills lost next years 1st rounder. I like the gamble, since the prize was Watkins.

Would you use the 4th overall pick and next years 1st round pick on Michael Crabtree?

Comment

• Fletch
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                  It feels good. But I expect it will feel bad next year. Rookie receivers rarely make a big impact. This one had better.
                  Whaley also foolishly married himself to Manuel last year, so who's going to be getting Watkins the ball so that he can even be the best rookie WR this year, it sure as hell ain't gonna be Manuel. Whaley should have researched Manuel a bit more.

Rookie WRs very rarely hit 1,000 yards, most don't even come close to that. If they really wanted to win now they shouldn't have dished Stevie for a 4th. Yeah yeah, "at least we get something for him." But isn't it about win now? Then why do we care about a 4th, as if our 4th rounders since Whaley's been here have done anything significant at all, when we could have had Stevie for one more season.

Florio also lays it down, if it were all about winning now, why not have picked up Graham, the most prolific and a very well polished ready-to-go TE?

The Bills made a big splash on the first night of the draft, sending the ninth overall pick in the draft, a 2015 first-round selection, and a 2015 fourth-round pick to the Browns for the ability to secure the rights to receiver Sammy Watkins.

This whole Watkins win-now thing is purely for koolaid drinkers. He'll be lucky to hit 800 yards and 8 TDs, which is less than Stevie averaged over his last 4 seasons here, especially with Manuel throwing. Manuel's the problem, not the receivers.

It'll take getting whacked by that proverbial two-by-four for some to catch onto that. That should occur sometime in October.
                  http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                  (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                  Originally Posted by pmoon6
                  The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                  ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
                    • May 2007

The message it sent was bigger than the message itself.

Whether or not Watkins pans out is almost secondary to me.

We're actually trying to win now. Finally.
                    And you agree with Whaley, that we were a WR away? Because that's essentially what he said. He said that this will propel us into the playoffs.

As someone where I read put it, he swung for the fences, let's see where the ball lands, but there is no precedent for a 6' WR doing this. Once again this FO, aka Whaley, is smarter than the rest of the league and than all conventional football wisdom and a trend setter.

Now, what are the odds of that being the case?

Some people just take a little longer to catch on. Some much longer and only after it becomes blatant. I think you're in that last category.
                    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                    Originally Posted by pmoon6
                    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Historian
                      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                      • Dec 2002

I like Whaley's spirit. He's a young dynamic gm who understands the cap, as well as the modern player.

It's also pretty clear who's calling the personnel shots at 1BD.....and it's not the octogenarians anymore.

I applaud the move.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                        Making Spirits Bright
                        • Mar 2006

What? So you're saying that there's no value to where you draft a player? When you use a draft pick, you're exchanging that player for that draft pick. Jadaveon Clowney cost the Texans their 1st round draft pick, that was the transaction. We absolutely used 2 1st round picks on Sammy Watkins.

Are you saying that there's no difference with selecting a player in the 1st round vs any other round? That Cyrus Kouandjio and Seantrel Henderson cost the Bills the same amount? With that amount being free?

My point was simply to look at our NET loss/gain before the 2nd round started, and that info is not opinion. What if we had used those picks/player in a trade? I believe we could've got a lot. How good of a receiver do you think we could have got if we offered 2 1st round picks and Stevie Johnson as trade bait? Would that player be less risky that Sammy Watkins? Would Sammy Watkins be better? I don't know.

Comment

• JoeMama
                          Emotion Sickness
                          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                          And you agree with Whaley, that we were a WR away? Because that's essentially what he said. He said that this will propel us into the playoffs.

As someone where I read put it, he swung for the fences, let's see where the ball lands, but there is no precedent for a 6' WR doing this. Once again this FO, aka Whaley, is smarter than the rest of the league and than all conventional football wisdom and a trend setter.

Now, what are the odds of that being the case?

Some people just take a little longer to catch on. Some much longer and only after it becomes blatant. I think you're in that last category.
                          I do not care. I'm just happy we mortgaged the future on something.

"Next year" has become this meaningless auto-response for why we don't do anything now. The fact that we gave up something tangible next year for a player today is great because it defies conventional Bills wisdom.

If Watkins winds up being a bust it will still be a Pyrrhic victory. At least we were willing to gamble.
                          Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

YOU'RE A STUPID ****ING BABY.

We drafted like a team that's concerned about winning today instead of tomorrow. Remember what it's like to care about the present instead of the future? No, you don't? That's because you're a Bills fan and haven't thought about winning in 14 years.

This was the aggressive, balls out move we've been waiting for, and some of you gaywads are totally upset like it's a bad thing.

Sack up, losers. Trading up was awesome.

+1 to the Bills for getting their guy.
                            The team can draft like a team that wants to win now. That doesn't mean they actually have the talent to do so. This team still has a lot of holes and it's gonna hurt to not have that first round pick to help fill them.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                              The team can draft like a team that wants to win now. That doesn't mean they actually have the talent to do so. This team still has a lot of holes and it's gonna hurt to not have that first round pick to help fill them.
                              So based on those holes that you talk about, how many games do you think the bills will win this year?
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• JoeMama
                                Emotion Sickness
                                • Oct 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                                Politely disagreed.

We're on the cusp. Our D is rock solid. Our O has weapons. This can be a good team but everything hinges on EJ Manuel.

Granted, I don't like our odds on that count since I think EJ Manuel is an injury prone sack machine, but I like that we're at least giving him the tools necessary to succeed.
                                Last edited by JoeMama; 05-12-2014, 07:55 AM.
                                Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

Working...
                                X