• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imbondz
    Democrats are people too
    • Jan 2003

Re: I Forgot That The Bills Were 6-10 Last Year

I don't see it. I'm usually not a naysayer, but don't have a good outlook for this year. I'm excited about EJ, I like the little i've see from him, I like his personality. Couldn't be less excited about Kolb, and am about 25% excited about Marrone. I'm actually glad I have no expectations going into this year, because I can maybe just enjoy watching games and hopefully seeing improvement and not worrying about making the playoffs.
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Bill Cody
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Thunderkyss View Post
      The gap between really good & not so good in the NFL isn't that great.
      It really is. We might have kept the SF game close if we were allowed 13 players on D. Might have.

Comment

• Bill Cody
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
        Feels more like 4-12, but why?
        You must have a pretty sensitive feel meter to be able to feel the difference between 4-12 and 6-10. It's actually an hilarious concept. It's like the trainer of a horse telling the owner "ok, that might have FELT like we finished 8th but we actually nipped those two horses headed for the glue factory at the end and it was really 6th. So cheer up."

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Thunderkyss View Post
          We (the Texans) gave up 83 points to those same Patriots

The Patriots had a historically good offence, and sometimes teams just match up well against another team. We've dominated the Chiefs for a decade now, for no readily apparent reason.

& there were some who thought we were the best team in the league at one time or another during the season.
          Because you actually had points where you played like a great team. Beating Denver in Denver and pimpslapping the future Champs by 30 points will do that. We had no such quality wins. We beat Miami, KC, Cleveland, Jacksonville, New York, and Arizona. Of them, only Miami wasn't a complete dumpster fire last year.

We also made Christian Ponder look like Kurt Warner Super Bowl MVP.
          Huh? 16/30 for 174 yards and a TD? I guess you had to be there, because that stat line is downright Trent Edwardsian.

The gap between really good & not so good in the NFL isn't that great. You've got a talented team & a bunch of really good coaches coming on board. 2013 is going to be a great year for the Buffalo Bills.
          I highly doubt that. We'll be interesting to watch and hopefully not have to cover our eyes when the D is on the field, but this team has inexperience at crucial positions from the head coach on down. This is a redshirt year for basically the whole team.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Mike
            • Jan 2009

I don't think that's dumb. It is true. 6-10 is also two-three lucky plays away from being 8-8. It works both ways.

----//// I always like Bill Parcel's comments on this, "you are whatever your record says you are". The big thing to note, the Bills went 0-6 vs playoff teams, their 6 wins came vs 2 rookie QBs & 4 ****ty QBs. Bills gave up 195 points in 4 games. --------/////

There's not much that separates an average team from a great team.

---------////// There is a HUGE difference between the Bills and say the 49ers, Seahawks, evident in them putting up 100 points on us in 2 games. Talent level isn't even close, it's more comparable to a NCAA Div1 team playing a Div3 team -------/////

But that fine difference is the biggest difference in the NFL. Talent is everywhere...but sometimes talent falls into the wrong hands.

---------//// Thing is that it is always easiest to blame coaching. Even some of the worst teams have had elite players and a couple right here at home: Spiller, Byrd, etc. The best players show their talent level regardless of who they are playing with and whose coaching them. Historical examples: OJ Simpson on those loosing Bills Teams, Barry Sanders and his OLine, Calvin Johnson during Detriot's 0-16 run, etc... ----------/////////

Coaching is underestimated.

--------///// Often it is overestimated. You make it sound like Bill Belechick could win a SB with a bunch of 4th graders.

Great Coaches do make a huge difference however most notability in their abilities to evaluate talent, develop talent, and unilize talent. BB could not have won an SB with Drew Bledsoe, even this much he eluded himself ---------///////

A team can have all the talent in the world, but if the team does not have coaches with the ability to recognize and utilize talent, the team is going to suck.

------------////// The San Diego Chargers come to mind.

A terrible coach sure can obliterate chances of success.

An average coach will get results reflecting actual talent.

A great coach will make all the pieces work together to perfection. However without the pieces there, there is little to mend

-----------------/////////

Just like a company with all kinds of talent and brains, if the management is no good, the company is going to suck too.

-----------////// there are new theories in management which are backed by numerous studies into the subject which show that employees perform best without much management. Google for example has a 1/56 ratio of management to employees ---------//////

Why is Tom Brady so good? Bill Belichick has a lot to do with his success.

--------////// This may be so, but do you know who has far more to do with his success? Tom Brady himself!

Great players find a way to prosper regardless of surrounding talent, coaches, etc...

Look at some of the worst nfl teams historically and your sure to find HOF players sprinkled in there.

Brady would have been great, even if the Bills drafted him in the 5th round!

-------------/////////////

What if Brady was drafted by the Bears with Dick Jauron back in 2000?
            Would he have 3 Super Bowl rings? Probably not.

-----////// Teams win SBs, teams! However, I do think he would have at least one ring, maybe two. Bears went to a SB a few years later with Rex Grossman and lost partial due to his play. A few years ago, Cutler got injured in NFC Championship game, and the 3rd stringer almost got the Bears to even. In anycase, Bears would have been much better and perhaps won some SBs (they started hot last year but another QB injury stalled them)

-------------------///////

Is Tom Brady a great QB? Yes, but he wouldn't be great if it weren't for the luck of the Patriots draw.

---------/////// You don't know this, it's total speculation on your part. I think he would have been just as great. You don't throw 50 TDs in a season because you got lucky. And the Pats team that drafted him was pretty bad.

Conversely, had the Pats hypothetically drafted Ryan Leaf, no chance he becomes Brady and wins SBs.

-------/////////-------///////

E.J. Manuel has all the tools to be great. Will he be lucky enough to land in a coaching system that uses his talents to the best of his potential?

My opinion is that EJ is a level 2 or level 3 talent. A level 2 mostly depends on external circumstances such as coaching, surround talent, etc and a level 3 is a most likely going to be a bust regardless of circumstances. Hopefully, he's level one and none of this matters.

Please Make Sense

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
              • Sep 2008

Feels more like 4-12, but why?
              Just look at the top 10 of this last NFL draft, you will find every single team we beat in 2012. Although Miami originally had the 12th pick, they traded up to 3rd overall as sort of a funny coincidence. 4 of those wins came against teams that were in last place in their respective divisions. The Dolphins were the best team we beat last year who finished with a record of 7-9, a record many of us were repulsed by when Jauron was here. We haven't won 7 games in a season since his departure. So yeah, it's not hard to see how a 6-10 season could have felt more like a 4-12 season. This team was really bad last year.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                • Aug 2004

Every single team loses some close games. I don't care if you're a 2 win team or a 6 win team there are going to be a handful of games that you could've won. It's the good teams that pull out them victories the majority of the time. Every fan of every team can look back and say the same type of stuff. You are what your record is especially when we had one of the easiest schedules in the NFL.

What is more alarming is the complete unlubricated ass raping we received from some of the better teams in the league. If you weren't able to catch the game until the 2nd quarter then it was already over and you might as well go back to whatever it was you were doing.
                Last edited by BillsFever21; 07-22-2013, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X