X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    • Jan 2009

Re: Spiller

Spiller is only as good as his hole is big and obvious. He is not good enough, at this point, to set up defenders, create something out of nothing, elude defenders, etc... He depends on a huge, obvious hole with a lot of space!!!
    Please Make Sense

Comment

• Mike
      • Jan 2009

Lastly, big hole and obvious hole, for Spiller do not mean long run. No matter how big the hole or how well he goes through it, if there is a defender somewhere on the other side, unless in open space, that defender will bring spiller down most of the time. He has a very hard time making players miss or breaking tackles. In other words, there are many many underrated RB with speed that could do exactly what Spiller could do...
      Please Make Sense

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts
        You can't get away from 3 guys every time. You're being unreasonable with your thoughts on Sanders
        Sanders was tackled in the backfield MANY times by ONE guy that broke through the line.

I'm not saying Sanders was not a great player. He was GREAT. I'm saying he was great because of his SPEED, VISION, ABILITY to hit the hole fast & turn on a dime, ELUSIVENESS

There have been many backs in the NFL that were stronger than Sanders that are not in the HOF. And Sanders is not in the HOF because of his strength.

Comment

• Mike
          • Jan 2009

How Spiller should be used:
          He can be used like a Daren Sprolles, or a Reggie Bush, Warrick Dunn, etc....
          I would give him pitches to the outside, runs outside the tackles, counters, etc... runs that require speed. No up the middle stuff. Have him catch passes in open space, turn him loose with separation. I would love to see Spiller vs a LB in pass coverage, however I am disappointed that I have not see it to date....
          Please Make Sense

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Mike
            Freddie did do better against the same Jets team only a few weeks earlier. Also, in that game, Freddie was the only one doing anything. The Bills offense could not move the ball. It was a game of 3& Outs which they scored 8pts -I think and got blown out. All this means, less opportunity to run, more Jets in the Box, more run blitzes, etc...

The Jets tried to Stop Freddie, they Game planned for him and they did a good job of containing him. I guarantee you that they did not game plan for Spiller.
            Well, Freddie played behind an OL that was in better shape the 1st time the Bills played the Jets. Wood was at Center & helped open some holes.

I have said before, that Freddie hits the hole as fast as any back in the NFL. Spiller is not as good, but Freddie is injured & with playing time we can hope Spiller improves. Players always say you have to play in the games to get better.

You have to be crazy to think the Jets did not game plan for Spiller. Why would they not when they knew he was starting?
            Last edited by better days; 11-29-2011, 12:39 AM.

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Mike
              How Spiller should be used:
              He can be used like a Daren Sprolles, or a Reggie Bush, Warrick Dunn, etc....
              I would give him pitches to the outside, runs outside the tackles, counters, etc... runs that require speed. No up the middle stuff. Have him catch passes in open space, turn him loose with separation. I would love to see Spiller vs a LB in pass coverage, however I am disappointed that I have not see it to date....
              Well, Warrick Dunn ran INSIDE all the time. Now that was a guy that was STRONG for his size.

Comment

• snow1989
                • Sep 2003

Spiller is nothing but a 3rd down back and most likely won't ever be more than that...he was simply drafted way too high.
                I've upped my standards...now up yours

Comment

• RedEyE
                  • Jul 2002

Chan wanted a "Scat" style back going into that draft and voila in comes Spiller.

He is not a hard nosed, every down, pick up every inch, type of player. He is all flash and dance.

If you work him to the open field he might be able to break an ankle or two but he's not going to push a pair of linebackers over for a 1st down on 3rd and inches.

I think Gailey is utilizing Spiller's abilites incorrectly. He needs to unfold Spiller in the flats in that spread offense they were using early in the season. Spiller can do more damage out there and in the pass game.

The problem is that with Jackson out, Gailey's back is against the wall, he has no choice but to use Spiller every down.

Comment

• dog14787
                    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Philagape
                    I watched Sanders during the entirety of his career. He broke tackles. I didn't say all the time, I said often.
                    Your past comments about Evans, Tebow and Losman shows you're in no position to declare who's wrong about anything. You just might be the worst observer of talent in BZ history, so saying you watched the games means nothing.
                    In your dreams maybe, Barry Sanders for the most part made plays by dodging people not running through them. Sanders uncanny body balance and agility/ability to stop and go on a dime and make unheard of cuts is what made him special. Good grief, not running through people or breaking tackles. Sanders center of gravity was so low sometimes on cuts he was simply out of reach.

Sanders may have looked liked he was breaking tackles, but in truth defenders couldn't even get a good grip on him to begin with in my opinion.

Its amazing what folks will say sometimes in an effort to prove someone else wrong.
                    Last edited by Figster; 11-29-2011, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                      • Jul 2003

You people are delusional if you don't think Barry Sanders was tough to bring down. Yes, he was very elusive, but he also had incredible balance and power in his legs.

Barry had some of the strongest legs in the history of the game, they were as big as his guards. When he was at Oklahoma State he set the weight-room record by squatting 650 pounds 23 times. He was legendary for his leg strength.

Just because Barry was elusive and it was hard to get your hands on him doesn't mean he was easy to bring down when someone did. The opposite was true. He wasn't a pile-mover in the Jerome Bettis style, but he was a strong guy who ran though arm tackles and kept his balance when people hit his legs.

Spiller is not that type of runner, he is about short-area quickness and long-speed. Spiller is not Barry Sanders.
                      Last edited by Ickybaluky; 11-29-2011, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                        • Jul 2003

Originally posted by better days
                        Well, Warrick Dunn ran INSIDE all the time. Now that was a guy that was STRONG for his size.
                        Barry Sanders did as well. Barry was the best in the NFL at running draws right up the middle.

Comment

• Philagape
                          WIN NOW
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by dog14787
                          In your dreams maybe, Barry Sanders for the most part made plays by dodging people not running through them. Sanders uncanny body balance and agility/ability to stop and go on a dime and make unheard of cuts is what made him special. Good grief, not running through people or breaking tackles.

Sanders may have looked liked he was breaking tackles, but in truth defenders couldn't even get a good grip on him to begin with in my opinion.

Its amazing what folks will say sometimes in an effort to prove someone else wrong.
                          Nobody is saying that quickness and cuts weren't his primary skill. He was so good at that, that less observant watchers forget that he also had the strength in his churning legs to keep going when he was caught. Not all the time, but enough that knowledgeable observers noticed it.
                          I don't have to say it, here's the proof.
                          In this video, he runs through tacklers, not around them, at :30, 1:25 and 3:43. At 2:35, he shakes off two tacklers, and at 2:48 he gets caught in the backfield by Darryl Talley and Cornelius Bennett but stays on his feet.

Here he gets hit square in the gut and keeps going.

Remember he was 5-8 and 200 pounds. How strong does a guy that small have to be to keep going after linebackers get him?
                          Last edited by Philagape; 11-29-2011, 09:04 AM.
                          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• dog14787
                            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Philagape
                            Nobody is saying that quickness and cuts weren't his primary skill. He was so good at that, that less observant watchers forget that he also had the strength in his churning legs to keep going when he was caught. Not all the time, but enough that knowledgeable observers noticed it.
                            I don't have to say it, here's the proof.
                            In this video, he runs through tacklers, not around them, at :30, 1:25 and 3:43. At 2:35, he shakes off two tacklers, and at 2:48 he gets caught in the backfield by Darryl Talley and Cornelius Bennett but stays on his feet.

Here he gets hit square in the gut and keeps going.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yZ59xbYjio
                            balance, low center of gravity, and elusivness is how Sanders made a living,

I bet out of all of Spillers carries I could find a couple of him breaking tackles, it proves nothing...
                            Last edited by Figster; 11-29-2011, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• Philagape
                              WIN NOW
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by dog14787
                              uuuhhh .... uhhhhhh ...... I'll just throw something out here like comparing Sanders to Spiller uuuuhhhhh
                              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• dog14787
                                • Oct 2010

I asked If Sanders ever impressed you

Comment

Working...
                                X