• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Re: Official: McGee signs extension

Originally posted by OpIv37
    If we traded McGee, Greer WOULD be a starter. And as of the end of last season, McKelvin still hadn't earned the starting spot. Your argument didn't really take into account what I said.
    Who's going to guarantee that McGee could be traded? What if Buffalo shopped him around and didn't feel like anyone wanted to compensate them correctly for McGee's services? That seems to happen a lot when teams shop players around.

Those kinds of things aren't as easy as you make it sound.

Besides, why would you want Greer to be starter instead of McGee? Especially since you've admitted yourself that McGee is better. You sound a lot like the organization you criticize constantly...going with a lesser player because he costs less. I thought we were supposed to pay our better players?
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• psubills62
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2008

and on that note, why is it that so many people don't want to sign here? Everyone just dismisses it- "oh well, he didn't want to be here"- but no one stops to think about WHY so many people want to get out of this organization.
      Like I was saying...Greer would have to fight for a starting spot if anything instead of being guaranteed a starting spot elsewhere. Everyone has different reasons. Asante Samuel and Deion Branch didn't want to stay in New England...does it seem like a huge concern for the Patriots?

I don't think it's a huge deal because there are plenty of guys who do sign with and re-sign with Buffalo. Lee Evans, Stroud (extension), McGee, etc.
      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by psubills62
        Who's going to guarantee that McGee could be traded? What if Buffalo shopped him around and didn't feel like anyone wanted to compensate them correctly for McGee's services? That seems to happen a lot when teams shop players around.

Those kinds of things aren't as easy as you make it sound.

Besides, why would you want Greer to be starter instead of McGee? Especially since you've admitted yourself that McGee is better. You sound a lot like the organization you criticize constantly...going with a lesser player because he costs less. I thought we were supposed to pay our better players?
        Ok, let's do this ONE MORE TIME for those who can't keep up.

Our current OL/DL plus McKelvin and McGee... OR we trade McGee for some OL/DL help and start McKelvin and Greer. I think that Greer, McKelvin and some pass rushing help would be better than McGee, McKelvin and our current POS DL.

Yes, McGee is bette than Greer, but not that much better, and to say that's the end of the argument shows a lack of understanding of team sports.

In this case, it's NOT just a lesser player. It's a lesser player who's still good, PLUS the money we save, PLUS whatever we got as compensation for McGee.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• psubills62
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2008

Ok, let's do this ONE MORE TIME for those who can't keep up.

Our current OL/DL plus McKelvin and McGee... OR we trade McGee for some OL/DL help and start McKelvin and Greer. I think that Greer, McKelvin and some pass rushing help would be better than McGee, McKelvin and our current POS DL.

Yes, McGee is bette than Greer, but not that much better, and to say that's the end of the argument shows a lack of understanding of team sports.

In this case, it's NOT just a lesser player. It's a lesser player who's still good, PLUS the money we save, PLUS whatever we got as compensation for McGee.
          Haha you make it sound like I'm daft when you completely ignore the fact that you make "trading for OL/DL help" sound as easy as pie. Who exactly is or was on the trading block that would help us? How are we guaranteed to get much return on McGee, especially when he only had one year on his contract left? I pointed this out in my post, which you conveniently ignored. Trading to fix the lines isn't nearly as easy as you make it out to be. If it was, Carolina would have done so because they need a DT in a huge way.

I just do not understand some people. When we don't sign players, you get upset. When we do sign players, you get upset.

Oh, and btw, Greer isn't quite as good as you make him out to be. McGee is notably better, not "slightly" better.
          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Haha you make it sound like I'm daft when you completely ignore the fact that you make "trading for OL/DL help" sound as easy as pie. Who exactly is or was on the trading block that would help us? How are we guaranteed to get much return on McGee, especially when he only had one year on his contract left? I pointed this out in my post, which you conveniently ignored. Trading to fix the lines isn't nearly as easy as you make it out to be. If it was, Carolina would have done so because they need a DT in a huge way.

I just do not understand some people. When we don't sign players, you get upset. When we do sign players, you get upset.

Oh, and btw, Greer isn't quite as good as you make him out to be. McGee is notably better, not "slightly" better.
            yeah, I'm sure no one in the NFL wants a starting caliber CB who can also return kicks- that one's really a tough sell . And the BILLS locked up McKee- you know, the team that let Greer, Clements and Winfield all walk. So his contract really wasn't an issue for a potential trade.

When it comes to not signing players, it's on a case by case basis. This team re signs the WRONG players (examples: Kelsay and Schobel) and doesn't re sign the RIGHT players (examples: Fletcher and Pat Williams). you can't just say "we signed a guy so it was a good move"- it depends who the guy is.

And as far as people being upset over who we sign or don't sign- this team has been garbage for 10 years, so anyone who's upset has a right to be. The moves this team makes- whether it's signing someone or not signing someone- are not leading to wins.
            Last edited by OpIv37; 09-19-2009, 01:21 PM.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• psubills62
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2008

yeah, I'm sure no one in the NFL wants a starting caliber CB who can also return kicks- that one's really a tough sell . And the BILLS locked up McKee- you know, the team that let Greer, Clements and Winfield all walk. So his contract really wasn't an issue for a potential trade.

When it comes to not signing players, it's on a case by case basis. This team re signs the WRONG players (examples: Kelsay and Schobel) and doesn't re sign the RIGHT players (examples: Fletcher and Pat Williams). you can't just say "we signed a guy so it was a good move"- it depends who the guy is.

And as far as people being upset over who we sign or don't sign- this team has been garbage for 10 years, so anyone who's upset has a right to be. The moves this team makes- whether it's signing someone or not signing someone- are not leading to wins.
              Well no, McGee's contract isn't an issue NOW. It was an issue back during the time when they would be trying to re-sign Greer, and probably during the time frame that they would have tried to trade McGee. I don't see this scenario playing out at all. In order to re-sign Greer, they would have to promise him a starting job. In order to do that, they would have to tell him they plan on trading McGee. But then they would try and extend McGee only to trade him? How exactly is this scenario working in your head?

I don't think you can say that everyone this team re-signs has been the wrong player. Yes, they've made some crappy moves, I won't deny that. Although I certainly wouldn't put Schobel in the category of crappy moves. Maybe he didn't deserve as much money as he got, but that's the case for a lot of players around the league, not just Schobel.

It's easy to complain that they should have kept Greer, traded McGee, etc. But they didn't keep Greer. So knowing that, do you think it's the right move to sign McGee? Without any of these hypothetical situations, would you rather they re-sign McGee or let him go in FA?
              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

So knowing that, do you think it's the right move to sign McGee? Without any of these hypothetical situations, would you rather they re-sign McGee or let him go in FA?
                I said in my first post in this thread that given the fact that the Greer ship has sailed, signing McGee was the right move.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• psubills62
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Sep 2008

I said in my first post in this thread that given the fact that the Greer ship has sailed, signing McGee was the right move.
                  OK, good to know. Sorry, didn't see that before.
                  - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• MassEffect218435
                    • Apr 2009

Let the elite players go, give the money to the average players. Typical; but McGee is the best CB currently on the roster so I guess you have to give the F.O. credit for at least locking him up.
                    Last edited by MassEffect218435; 09-19-2009, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• Marvelous
                      • Feb 2004

Good move OBD.
                      -Ima thinking that Randy Moss takes most CB's lunch money though..
                      GO BILLS!!! NE
                      Magical Trevor

Comment

Working...
                      X