For all the talk about Fairchild being fired...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Re: For all the talk about Fairchild being fired...

People have criticized SF for being dink-and-dunk, but face it, we have dink-n-dunk receivers. Evans can't beat double coverage, and nobody else can be counted on to get open beyond 10 yards. The QB often has little choice but to check down.
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• mchurchfie
      • Jul 2002

The receivers are definitely to be held accountable but I think we could be a little more creative to spring these guys open a little more. A good example is that little WR swing pass to #83 that the Pats kept doing against Philly last night.
      My Band
      daveviterna.com

Comment

• Mitchy moo
        Roways rooking ahread!
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
        And without being purposely critical (cant help myself It's how I feel about him) it's hard to open up a full playbook to a QB who was half-******ed.
        That's brutal man.

Comment

• Mudflap1
          Next Question!
          • Nov 2004

Pat,

Exactly what I'm saying, totally agree. I'm not saying Fairchild is all that and a bag of chips, but c'mon, let's get real here. We just don't have the horses! We have an offensive line that is somewhat improved over last year, but still has a pretty darn weak C. The wide receivers are okay, but we need a legit number two big target WR. We need a pass catching, athletic tight end with some speed. Lastly, we need a smart QB that can make most, if not all of the throws downfield, and understands the playbook. J.P. could make the throws, but he could not read the defenses, and would panic and make bad plays by forcing things too much. That's not on Fairchild, that's on Losman. Is Edwards the answer? I don't know. I hope so as a fan, but he's going to need some time. NFL QB's don't "get it" in a couple games. And they need a good supporting cast. If Edwards is being given the leniency, then Fairchild needs to be given it too.

The reason this is a dump-off passing team is because our guys aren't capable of doing anything else! We need some fresh meat this offseason...

Jon

Comment

• Mitchy moo
            Roways rooking ahread!
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Mudflap1
            Pat,

Exactly what I'm saying, totally agree. I'm not saying Fairchild is all that and a bag of chips, but c'mon, let's get real here. We just don't have the horses! We have an offensive line that is somewhat improved over last year, but still has a pretty darn weak C. The wide receivers are okay, but we need a legit number two big target WR. We need a pass catching, athletic tight end with some speed. Lastly, we need a smart QB that can make most, if not all of the throws downfield, and understands the playbook. J.P. could make the throws, but he could not read the defenses, and would panic and make bad plays by forcing things too much. That's not on Fairchild, that's on Losman. Is Edwards the answer? I don't know. I hope so as a fan, but he's going to need some time. NFL QB's don't "get it" in a couple games. And they need a good supporting cast. If Edwards is being given the leniency, then Fairchild needs to be given it too.

The reason this is a dump-off passing team is because our guys aren't capable of doing anything else! We need some fresh meat this offseason...

Jon
            How many times yesterday we're people wide open but no one was ready to pass to them. Everyone is open at one point normally but if the guy with the rock is a little to dense or out of position it means little.

I can remember where the announcer's specifically showed wide open people but JP never looked their way. You put the great one's behind center, they find that guy.

I remember watching Wayne Gretzky play hockey, he had one advantage over everyone out there. The game was way too slow for his mind, it was easy pickings. Add in talent around him and he was the great one. Tom Brady knows the game is slow for him, not a physical giant by any stretch but he knows what's coming and where everyone is. Instant reads and adjustments and a complete understanding of the offense, WR talent added in around him........

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mudflap1
              A-Train is a better blocker, particularly for the first half of the season, I don't think that's totally inexcusable. I agree with the wishbone play and the receivers in motion. I'm talking mostly about the QB play. If there's one thing going for us, it's that Edwards is smart. Hopefully that translates to him reading a defense.

Jon
              I half understand the A Train thing- Lynch is still learning to block. But at the same time, it's too predictable and it lets the other team tee off on the QB.

Hell, I've seen Gaines and Royal in the backfield this year- put both Lynch and A-Train in the backfield and let the D figure out who they want to cover.

No doubt the QB play from both QB's has been sub-par and hopefully that's just rookie inexperience from Edwards. That is an obstacle for Fairchild. But I still think he has made his own share of bonehead calls independently of the talent deficit.

The problem is that it's a self-perpetuating cycle. We have no run blocking so the run game isn't helping the QB, we're trying to evaluate a QB with sub-par receivers and vice versa, and we're trying to evaluate an OC with no QB, no receivers and no run blocking. What's the source of the problem? Who knows? It could be any one of the above or all of the above.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• historypete
                • Feb 2005

I can't believe people are defending Fairchild.

Okay, even if he has a lack of talent to work with, and I think this offense has a lot of holes at WR and TE, that is still not an excuse for unimaginative gameplanning and playcalling.

It is the offensive coordinator's job to find ways to get his playmakers the ball. He can use bunch formations, five wides, spread the field to get Marshawn more running room, run multiple crossing patterns, clear-out routes. These are simple things he does not do to get guys open. He should put Evans in the slot, get Roscoe on the outside, maybe get Marshawn to motion out of the backfield and get a LB on him. Maybe get Gaines and Royal off the field and put in Lynch and Jackson or Lynch and Wright. Find matchups that work rather than waving the white flag from the very beginning.

Comment

• JD
                  Sabres Zone
                  • Sep 2003

I really think with the QB situation, JP is all too predictable.

Edwards is poised and spreads the ball around. He is not as mobile as JP but he is far smarter than JP.

I cant wait to see how he grows over the next 5 games. GO TRENT!!!!
                  “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

Working...
                  X